Sunday, July 10, 2011

Cooking with Edible Flowers

My Mom wanted me to mention edible flowers in my blog.  It's a pretty great idea.  These are the flowers that I found in my own backyard.  Nasturtium, mustard green, rose, marigold and zucchini and chive blossoms.  I gave them all a taste test. They would all do well in a savoury salad (the chive in particular).  The nasturtium and mustard green were really peppery.   I actually enjoyed the flavour of the zucchini blossom the most though.   Perhaps, I'll give this Stuffed Squash Blossom Recipe a try.  Perhaps you should too! 



Stuffed Squash
  • 2 squash blossoms
  • 2 to 4 teaspoons cheese (goat, blue, fontina, cheddar, or cream cheese with a dab of grated parmesan)
  • 1 teaspoon butter
To prepare squash blossoms, gently reach into the centre of each, pinch out the stamens or pistil, and discard. Rinse the flower carefully and invert to drain.  You can cook the blossoms with the stems or break the straight stems off first.  

Fill blossoms (1 to 2 tsp each), then loosely twist tips closed.  Cook stuffed flowers in melted butter in a frying pan over medium heat until wilted and tinged with brown.  1 1/2 to 2 minutes. 

For a variation, you can dip the squash blossoms in all-purpose flower, then in beaten egg, and brown them in olive oil with a few cloves of unpeeled garlic. 





No comments:

Post a Comment